Sunday, September 18, 2022

Ollantaytambo

Today we explored Ollantaytambo. It is known as "the Inca living city" because it is the only city where Inca constructions are still in use.

One section of town consists of the original narrow cobblestone streets, aquaducts and stone houses built by the Inca!

I read from one source that the archeological site (ruins that are next to the town) and the city have to cooperate on some things as some features are still in use in the town.



 
Some homes have ground floors from the Inca era and second stories from colonial times. I loved the mix of old and new ( note the tech on the roof).














It is very picturesque. I'm afraid my pictures don't do it justice.  

Mostly, I find it mind-blowing that people can live in structures built so long ago!





There is a major archeological site just a couple blocks from the center. We will tour these ruins tomorrow. But there are other ruins sprinkled around the area that are free to visit.

We walked to one site this afternoon and even though we had no idea what it was, we enjoyed our first taste of Inca ruins. I expect they will lose their attraction somewhat after we've been to a few.

4 comments:

  1. Your pics show plainly that you are in another world! Well, it seems like that anyway. During a trip through Europe in my early 20's I found I got "churched-out" after seeing so many huge ornate churches in such short time. But I'd never considered the idea of getting "ruined-out". I hope it doesn't happen for you.

    And glad to hear you made it there, eventually, with all your stuff!

    Take care!

    - Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to being churched-out in Europe, too! I was reflecting on the two experiences of Inca architecture - the ruins and the structures still in use and that have been inhabited for the past 700 years. I am way more intrigued by the latter. I wish there were opportunities to see these from the inside and to learn more about them. But they are private homes and I get why you wouldn't want tourists trapsing through your home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too appreciate the age of the structures still in use! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your pictures are doing it justice. I love the stone buildings. Are those flowers growing on top of the roof? They're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete