Having missed several days of posting partly due to poor internet service at the hotels, lack of time, and of course being in the mountains with no access for 4 days, I will try to provide a glimpse into the last week, starting with Day 8 (yesterday).
Our official tour of Machu Picchu started early in the morning. I think the idea was to miss the crowds, but I'm not sure it worked. Despite getting up by 5 am to catch the 6:30 bus up to the entrance, the place was packed!
I was in Ruben's (our lead guide) group. He is passionate about his history and culture and a great story-teller, so I thoroughly enjoyed the tour.
Ruben challenged us to develop our own hypothesis about the purpose of the site based on the evidence available. Nobody knows for sure. Most books hypothesize that it was a retreat for the nobility. He suggested that the evidence doesn't really support this idea.
If you're interested in what it does suggest, you'll need to connect with me when I get home. Too much to type out here right now.
After the tour, we returned to the village and had a most amazing lunch. They have fed us well, over-fed us really!
After the tour, we returned to the village and had a most amazing lunch. They have fed us well, over-fed us really!
Then we hopped on the train back to Ollantaytambo, a trip that should have taken 1.5 hours that actually took 3 hours due to mechanical issues. This meant our bus ride back to Cusco didn't end until 8pm.
Congratulations! I am sure it all feels a bit surreal at times to be where you are, however, I am guessing it feels pretty great to have accomplished your goal! I hope you have a good wind down from your journey and a safe trip home. I know if it were me, I'd be wanting to to start all over again - it's always so exciting preparing for the challenge, arriving at your destination and then doing the adventure. I find I never want it to be over - is the how you're feeling? How did it feel to reach the pinnacle of the challenge and know you made it and achieved your goal. Well done to you and to all who were with you on the challenge! Hope to see you soon for a walk after you get home and hear all about your adventures!
ReplyDeleteThanks Trish. It does feel surreal. I'm having trouble finding words, which is why I'm dragging my feet on posting about the trek itself. It will come together in time. I can say it was fantastic and very rewarding. I am, however, happy that I don't have another hike in the immediate future!
DeleteI can’t wait to hear all about it Amy! Safe trip home.
ReplyDeleteIt is humbling to see that generations before us, people without any of the technology or machinery we rely on today, built structures that have withstood time. And to know that today we don't have all the answers -- nothing wrong with a little mystery? Carol
ReplyDelete