Tuesday, September 20, 2022

A Real Hike

We donned our hiking gear today and headed for a short but steep hike to see another set of free ruins. Although the forecst for today was rain, it was actually only partially cloudy and a perfect day for a hike  

On a mountainside across from the temple, the Inca built graineries - storage for the corn, quinoa and potatoes that were grown on the terraces.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a picture of them from a distance. They have a very distinct and attractive look. They appear to be a series of engraved monoliths.

Closer views revealed the truth.

We found 3 separate graineries, each set on slightly higher ground. They are long narrow rooms with window openings every few meters. Of course the roofs are long since gone and the tops of the walls have begun to crumble, sometimes including the archways above the windows. This is what, from a distance, looks like engraved monoliths.


The location of the graineries and the window openings were strategically placed so as to benefit from the cold winds that come from the glaciers and snow covered peaks of the Andes. Very clever refrigeration with no carbon footprint.

The trail was pretty much all stone steps. It was uneven, irregular, and required careful attention to one's footing. I wondered if the Inca were tall people because some of those steps were quite a stretch for my short legs! We went slowly, stopped for frequent short breaks, and were surprised by how quickly we arrived.

On the way up, I lost the tip protector on one of my hiking poles. You are not allowed to hike the trails to Machu Picchu with poles that don't have tip protectors. So, because we took a side excursion to another smaller set of ruins and didn't come down the same way, we hiked back up to the graineries a second time hoping to find it. We did! Plus, we found the going much easier the second time round.

All in all, it was a good day.

8 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! I hope you two are thoroughly enjoying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you were getting a taste of what's to come! I can hardly fathom the extent of labour that would've been required to build all the original structures. What a blessing for you to be able to experience hiking amongst all this history. Can you imagine what the life would've been like as you explore? (Trish)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the hiking has been relatively easy so we have talked about what it must have been like and how many people have walked these paths. I'm expecting to be focusing on breathing when we get to the trek itself :-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for glimpses of that new reality you're getting to experience! Already I'm enjoying the living vicariously through them.

    An odd thing to comment on, but the finding of the tip protector made an impression.

    A buddy and I were geocaching / hiking along a trail earlier this week and he lost his GPS receiver. We knew within 5 meters or so where it had to be but it took us half an hour to find the thing in the thick undergrowth. It was the size of a fist, but you found the pole tip protector, the size of a pinky finger along the trail - somewhere, maybe. Amazing!
    - Grant

    Keep those cards and letters coming, as they say.šŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. How inventive of the people who inhabited that land! It really shows the contrasts of our disposable society. I am so excited you were finally able to make this journey. Clearly, you will be forever enriched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingenuity, creativity and genius of the Inca continually astounds me. It's no wonder they were able to spread their empire so far and wide. It was apparently the largest empire in the world at that time. Yes. It is a trip not readily forgotten and we haven't even started hiking!

      Delete
  5. Wow really running behind on following your posts so catching up this weekend. I love your descriptive stories, and I’m amazed that you found the tip protector for your pole! I look forward to reading more adventures.

    ReplyDelete